Other Advice and Support

Find a list of organisations that may be able to help below:

Citizens Advice

  • Offers free information and advice across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • They give advice on a wide range of topics including: benefits, work, debt and money, consumer rights, housing, family, law and courts, immigration and health.
  • Find the closest Citizens Advice to you by visiting their website and entering your postcode or town. It will provide you with their contact details.
  • Some local Citizens Advice can only give you advice if you live in their local council area. It’s usually best to contact a Citizens Advice based in your local council area.


Citizen Advice’s Extra Help Unit

  • The Extra Help Unit is a free service that supports people who have a problem with their energy provider.
  • They help resolve problems and have the powers to investigate energy complaints.
  • They can help with issues such as billing errors, debt and disconnection, metering complaints, problems with prepayment meters and problems with transferring suppliers.


Macmillan Cancer Support

  • Offers information and support for people who have been diagnosed with cancer.
  • They give free advice if you are finding it hard to pay the bills or cover extra costs. They also offer advice on which benefits you may be entitled to, and how to apply for them.
  • Offers free specialist counselling and a free online community to help those struggling with the emotional impacts of cancer.
  • You can apply for a £350 Macmillan Grant if you are 18 or over and have a current cancer diagnosis.


To get in touch, call them on 0808 808 00 00 or enter your details on their online contact form.



  • Offers free information and advice across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for over 60s.
  • Financial and legal advice includes: a benefits calculator, a pension calculator, advice on applying for pension credit, and support for scam victims.
  • Offers advice on staying physically and mentally well, including a befriending service and how to keep well this winter. Some AgeUK centres offer social events and physical activity classes – please check with your local branch.
  • Offers advice and support on arranging social care.


To get in touch, call them on 0800 678 1602 or find your local branch on their website.


Mind UK

  • Provides confidential advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problems across England and Wales.
  • Their Infoline service can provide information and signposting on mental health problems, where to get help, treatment options and advocacy services.
  • Their Legalline service can provide information on mental health related law.
  • Offers a free online community where people can discuss their situation, make friends and find support.


To get in touch, call them on 0300 123 3393 or email info@mind.org.uk.


Alzheimer’s Society

  • Provides information, advice and support for people who have been diagnosed or are worried about dementia across England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Offers activity groups, telephone advice sessions and runs cafes that offer support.
  • Offers advice and information on how people can remain independent in their own homes for longer.
  • Offers advice on the various financial and legal issues that someone with dementia and their carer may want to consider, including cost of living support for people with dementia, and assessments for care and support.
  • Offers a free online community where people can discuss their situation, make friends and find support.


To get in touch, call them on 0300 150 3456 or enter your details on their online contact form.


Royal British Legion

  • Offers support for Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, veterans and their families in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Provides specialist compensation advice, help with debt and emergency situations, and can support people through grant applications.
  • Offers grants such as vouchers to buy food, funds for accommodation when someone is street homeless, and support with short notice travel costs.
  • Offers advice on war pensions, disability claims and tribunals, and the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
  • Supports people with a large range of issues including homelessness, mental health problems, domestic violence or drug and alcohol addiction.


To get in touch, call them on 0808 802 8080, email info@britishlegion.org.uk or launch their online chat.


Home Energy Scotland

  • Offers free, impartial advice on saving energy, keeping warm at home, renewable energy, cutting water waste and more in Scotland.
  • Can help with financial support like debt, emergency funding and fuel vouchers.
  • Offers expert, free advice from specially trained advisors who can assess a property, explain its energy performance and explain its options for generating your own heat or power at home.
  • Provides the details and reviews of accredited installers throughout Scotland who can help with solar panels, heat pumps or biomass boilers.
  • Offers a funding finding tool to help people who are worried about their bills or need help heating their home.


To get in touch, call them on 0808 808 2282, or enter your details on their online contact form.


Reuse Network

  • The Reuse Network stocks high-quality, affordable household items for those struggling to afford essential items.
  • Items include furniture, electrical appliances, IT equipment and more.

Find a reuse centre near you.


Glasspool Charity Trust

  • The Glasspool Charity Trust provides small, one-off grants to individuals for everyday items (you can apply for one item).
  • Items they can help with include cookers, fridges and freezers, washing machines, furniture and beds.


Family Fund

  • The Family Fund offers support to those who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child and need help accessing essential items.
  • Support can include grants towards clothes, kitchen appliances, sensory toys and equipment, and holidays within the UK.


Friends of the Elderly’s Grant Giving Programme

  • Friends of the Elderly offers grants for elderly people who are struggling to afford essential items.
  • Support can include grants towards home essentials, digital connections, financial support and essential living costs.
  • The grants can only be accessed via a Third-Party Referral Agent who knows you in a professional or community capacity.


St Martin-in-the-Fields Charity’s Vicar’s Relief Fund

  • St Martin-in-the-Fields’ offers support and relief funds for those experiencing homelessness.
  • Their relief funds are designed to prevent someone from losing their homes or to help them find a new one.
  • Grants for preventing eviction are awarded up to a value of £350, and those for accessing accommodation are awarded up to £500.
  • Applications must be submitted by a support worker.


Fair For You

  • Fair For You offers fair, flexible and affordable loans for household essentials.
  • Items include electrical appliances, furniture, cooking equipment and white goods.


The Al-Mizan Charitable Trust

  • The Al-Mizan Charitable Trust provides small grants, up to £500, for families in the UK facing financial difficulties.
  • Funding is available for a range of goods and services that would better the beneficiary’s circumstances and situation.


The Smallwood Trust

  • The Smallwood Trust provides small grants for women who need support to help with rising costs such as energy bills, fuel prices, food and basic essentials.
  • Applications can only be made by referral organisations.


Trussell Trust

  • The Trussell Trust is a nationwide network of food banks.
  • In order to get help from a food bank you will need to be referred with a voucher, which can be issued by a number of local community organisations (for instance schools, GPs and advice agencies). Your local food bank can advise which agencies can help.